Many people would want to opt for a ketogenic diet and the best keto supplements just because it’s all over social media but they honestly know nothing concerning the diet. Probably in the same shoe? Don’t you worry for we’re about to learn the most important aspects you need to understand about keto before trying it out? The list consists of:
1. What it’s all about and how it Works
A keto diet minimizes the intake of carbs, moderates the quantity of protein on your plate, and hikes the number of fats. The transformation enables you to start depending on fats for energy unlike how it was used to glucose for power. The body is then shifted to ketosis where it’s in constant burning of fats to ketones, it acts as the new power bags. When asking yourself “how does the keto diet work?” have in mind that the start is quite challenging to get a proper keto diet for beginners since everyone has different body needs. Take time to learn how it works by visiting https://lifeapps.io/nutrition/
2. The Positive Impacts
Many people use the keto diet for weight loss since that’s the popular identified usage. However, there are other keto diet risks and benefits that have been carefully studied. Besides dealing with weight issues, the keto diet has been proved to tackle a couple of other health conditions like:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Metabolic syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Bipolar disorder
- Certain cancers
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
3. Secondary Effects
There are also a couple of side effects that come along when you adapt to the keto diet. They include;
- Hard to cope
- Keto flu
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Kidney stones
- Decreased bone mineral density
- Increase in bad cholesterol
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Increased risks of heart disease
- Serious muscle loss
- Bad breath
- Irregular menstrual cycle.
4. Level of Safety
There are conditions and restrictions to the keto diet and each of them is very crucial to avoid a mistake which can cause great damage to you. There are two faces to a coin so are the groups intending to go for the keto diet. The groups that should opt for keto are the ones who want to:
- Optimize the body’s health condition
- Move on from sugar and other carbs cravings
- Stabilize their blood sugar
- Heal other conditions like epilepsy and cancer
There is another group of individuals who are advised against going for the keto diet due to their medical status. This group is composed of:
- Diabetes patients on insulin medication
- Breastfeeding mothers
- People suffering from any serious health condition
- Those it didn’t work for them previously.
5. Choice of Foods
There are a variety of choices to pick from the keto diet food lists, including:
- Fats and oils – the best option for this category would be: ghee/butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, walnut oil, and sesame seed oil.
- Nuts and seeds – the best options are macadamias, pumpkin seeds, Brazil nuts, cashew nuts, and almonds.
- Dairy products – hard cheese, natural Greek yogurt, heavy cream, and whole milk are all great choices.
- Proteins – your choices should be pork, beef, fish, lamb, poultry, eggs, and goat or organ meats.
- Carbohydrates – it is better to pick your carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits. The wide range of vegetables includes broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, mushroom, spinach, cucumbers, and lettuce. The appropriate choice of fruits would be avocados and berries.
- Drinks – They include keto coffee, keto tea, lemon juice, and bone broth. For the party people, alcohol isn’t an exception and the likes of beer, wine, champagne, rum, scotch, gin, and vodka can all be enjoyed freely.
6. Strategy to Success
It is important to understand what every individual need in a keto diet. The amount will vary from person to person depending on their mass, height, and activity that they take part in. Similarly, knowing that for you to reach ketosis takes time is crucial.
7. Necessity of Supplements
Keto supplements are very important to ensure that you get back to ketosis in case you were kicked off and also help you maintain the state. Some of the keto supplements are:
- MCT oil
- Exogenous ketones
- Green powder
- Omega 3 fats
It is important to know the key aspects to consider before jumping to the keto diet. Are you thinking of trying a keto diet? What factors are you considering? Leave a comment!
Author’s Bio: Rich is a professional nutritionist and a leader of a weight loss support group. He has worked with different clients who had remarkable results in kicking off and maintaining ketosis. Rich has just celebrated a 10-year-old boy who was released from the hospital having recovered from epilepsy. During his free time, he enjoys sailing and playing golf.