For a period of time FireFox for iOS was being previewed in New Zealand. As of November 12th, the Firefox app for iOS is now widely available for download. Many features that long-time Firefox users know and love are in this version and yes, it’s free.
What’s unique about this version is that Firefox does not use the Gecko rendering engine which Apple dictates iOS browsers should use its WebKit engine.
The features of FireFox for iOS are listed as:
FAST. SMART. YOURS. Firefox is made with you in mind and gives you the power to take back control of your Web experience. That’s why we design the product with smart features that take the guesswork out of browsing.
SEARCH INTELLIGENTLY & GET THERE FASTER
– Firefox anticipates your needs and intuitively provides multiple suggested and previously searched results across your favorite search engines – every time.
– Easily access shortcuts to search providers
– Your personal information belongs to you. In Private Browsing mode, Firefox won’t remember any of your history or cookies, but new bookmarks will be saved.
– Delete your browsing history, passwords and more in a single tap.
– Choose the private data you want to remove.
– **iOS 9 required for Private Browsing mode**
SYNC FIREFOX ACROSS YOUR DEVICES
– With a Firefox Account, access your history, bookmarks and open tabs from your desktop on your smartphone and tablet.
– Firefox can also remember your passwords across devices so you don’t have to.
INTUITIVE VISUAL TABS
– Intuitive visual and numbered tabs easily let you find content for future reference.
– Open as many tabs as you like without losing track of your open Web pages.
EASY ACCESS TO YOUR TOP SITES
– Spend your time reading your favorites sites instead of looking for them.
I used Mozilla FireFox years ago on PC and always liked it but at one point I began to have problems and updates didn’t seem to come quick enough. I may very well give this version a try, mainly because I always liked their philosophy. They view the internet as many of us do, as a public resource. They believe free is better than closed and controlled. They build products that promote choice and transparency and give people more control over their lives online. I like that.
Mozilla has been voted one of the Most Trusted Internet Companies for Privacy. Check out this article on their support pages.
If you’re new to Mozilla FireFox visit mozilla.org and learn more.