Gmail Backup & Migration
If you are reading this post it means that you are facing Gmail backup or migration problems. We will come to our point soon, but first of all, we know the reason for Gmail backup and Gmail to Outlook conversion.
Gmail cloud-based online email service of Google is particularly efficient for managing user mailing information. It is commonly used on personal and business purposes, which is the source of many online activities (sending, receiving, composing, chat, etc.). The problem comes when the user resorts to an on-premise email client (like Outlook) to view data in offline mode and security purposes.
Now a question arises – How to create a backup of Gmail?
Google is a fully developed organization that provides Google Takeout for taking a backup of any Google service including Gmail.
Gmail Backup using Google takeout
To follow the method given below, we have to first login to your account and then open Google takeout in a new tab.
- It will show the export window where all Google products are listed for creating a backup.
- Click on Deselect and drag the cursor down to enable Gmail.
The two options will show in front of you-
- MBOX format 2. All mail data included
- The first option is set by default so drag the mouse down to click on the Next step. However, if you go with the second option you can select and deselect the label / mailbox.
- Now choose the Delivery method (by default) –send download link via email, set the frequency (by default) – Export Once, file type & size (by default) – Zip and 2 GB.
- After setting the all option click on the “Create Export” button. It will open a window with a note-
- So wait until you get the mail.
Convert & Migrate email from Gmail to Outlook
We have safely backed up Gmail, now we go ahead and know the method of conversion from Gmail to Outlook. We have two types of facts: first to send data to Outlook before backup, second to export data to Outlook after Gmail backup.
Gmail to PST Migration before Backup
In this section, we configure Gmail to Outlook PST format using the IMAP protocol. This process takes some time & several steps so carefully follow the given step below.
- Open the tab in the browser and search – Less secure apps> “click on less secure app – sign in to Google account” and turn it ON (if you have already logged in it will take to the ON/OFF window otherwise login will demand)
- Now open MS Outlook and go to file tab > Date file management > Email tab > New (Outlook 2007)
Note: For Outlook 2013 & above – Click on file tab > Add Account
- Enable – Exchange, POP3, IMAP or HTTP and click on Next button
- Check Manual configure server setting and additional server type
- Select Internet E-mail then Next
- Fill all details-
User information– As per Gmail account
Account type: IMAP
Incoming server: imap.gmail.com
Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
Login information– As per Gmail account
- Go to more setting > Outgoing server > Check “My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires Authentication > Advance tab > set port number
Incoming server – 993
Use the following type for encrypted connection – SSL
Outgoing server – 587/465
Use the following type for encrypted connection – TLS
Click on the OK button and test the account settings. If everything is good, click next and finish otherwise check the steps again.
Migrate Gmail to Outlook after Gmail backup in MBOX format
Here, we have two methods – manual and third-party tools. As always the manual process takes too much time and several steps. Plus, it may break your image, structure, as well as lose your attachments. But you can follow the steps with few MB data.
To know the manual steps visit: How to export MBOX to PST manually?
The third-party tool is a tested and secure solution capable of exporting single or large mailboxes from Gmail, Webmail, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Opera, and any other email client MBOX file for Window Outlook. I will share two solutions here which are quite efficient compared to others.
SysBud MBOX to PST Converter: This is a single wizard application that takes 3 simple steps to migrate Gmail MBOX to Outlook simultaneously. After using this application, you will find similar folder hierarchies, attachments, inline images and other properties in the PST file. Additionally, you can also create one or separate PST file for all mailboxes. The demo version of this tool allows you to change the first 20 emails from each mailbox.
For more info: http://www.sysbud.com/mbox-to-pst.html
MailsDaddy MBOX to PST Converter: This MBOX file converter is a GUI based application that supports all online and offline mailboxes (MBOX). It has lots of features to export Gmail data to PST such as Bulk migration, Save single & selected email, Export Filtered email, Create individual and different PST files for all mailboxes, etc. You can also download the demo edition free from Official site and migrate Gmail to PST, Office 365, Live Exchange, EML, etc.
For more info: https://www.mailsdaddy.com/mbox-to-pst-converter/
I have described the entire process from Gmail to Outlook step by step. If, you are really seeking a solution to export Gmail to Outlook PST then this post will give you a lot. Both processes are best in their places; you can switch from Gmail to PST with anyone.
Author Bio – My name is Somit Vishwakarma and I am interested in Web Development, Software, and Hacking. In free time, I like to play video games.