Long-awaited by its vibrant community, the official DeviantArt app for iPhone and iPod touch is finally here. Read about its features and see how it looks after the title image.
Launched in the early 2000s, DeviantArt is the most popular and largest art gallery and community on the Internet. It is host to not just ‘art’ in the traditional meaning of the term, but also literature, themes for different software applications (like WinAmp in the ‘olden days), photography, Adobe Flash exhibits, digital art, and a whole lot more.
DeviantArt has never had any official app for iOS. It has only taken them six years since the launch of the App Store to launch one. The official DeviantArt app for iPhone is late, but oh is it fashionably so!
DeviantArt looks excellent on the iPhone, with great use of color, eye-catching fonts, and decent animations / transitions. It does not just kill it in the looks department either, as it comes with the following set of features:
- Daily updates from DeviantArt’s editorial team in the Today view showcases the latest news, and featured artwork.
- DeviantArtists (users of DeviantArt) can post status updates to interact with their watchers.
- Explore and discover new / similar posts from DeviantArtists for inspiration.
- Stay updated with artists in your watchlist from your Watch Feed. See status updates, collections, and journals
- Publish your artwork directly from your phone
- Receive instant notifications when you are mentioned, or get a reply, and more.
Quite an achievement for a version 1.0, but there is always room for improvement. I am not DeviantArt user myself, so I cannot say much about the app’s features. However, as a software design enthusiast, I definitely appreciate its gorgeous user interface.
DeviantArt app for iPhone is available for free from the App Store. It requires iOS 8.0, so only iPhone 4S or later, and the fifth-generation iPod touch supports it.
Download DeviantArt for iPhone [App Store Link]